Ableton Live Music Production Course | Miami
Introducing our flagship Ableton Producer Program. The best way to learn anything is in smaller classes – and that’s just what we promise in this engaging and interactive 36-hour course – that will get you making music that you love using Ableton Live.
“I needed to brush up on something, so I called Garnish, as they have the best instructors” – Jamie Jones
Ableton has become incredibly popular, incredibly quickly. Adjectives like ‘revolutionary’ and ‘mould-breaking’ have become regularly associated with it. Excitingly, it provides users with what is effectively a creative ‘jamming’ tool to quickly develop ideas, a technique that’s popular with top-liners, electronic music producers and DJs. The course is designed to suit beginners, but is also perfect for self-taught users keen to enhance what they’ve already learned.
We’re proud to be the only Ableton- and Apple-certified training center in Miami, and we offer an exciting roster of experienced, Ableton-certified instructors with years of success under their belts. They all have great knowledge, practical tips and advice to share as an integral part of our engaging, interactive course. This gives you a seriously competitive real-world and up-to-the-minute edge over those trying to learn these skills from books and videos. We haven’t forgotten that learning should be a FUN experience – and all of our instructors know how to engage with the class. PC user? No need to worry, Ableton runs in a very similar way on Mac and PC.
Whilst many students prefer to use their own laptops on courses, we have also created the opportunity to hire a new iMac that sports the newest version of the Ableton Live Suite – simply add a supplement of $75 to the course price. We can provide controller keyboards and headphones as needed – as well as make space for your own machines. All those enrolled with us get a 40% EDU discount on Ableton software. Once you’re enrolled, purchase Ableton here and then we’ll show you how to get your discount.
We wanted to make our courses flexible. If a student misses a session, we have built in the possibility to repeat it, free of charge – and that will normally be on the student’s first choice cycle. Where possible, we keep an ‘open door’ policy for our former students.
Let’s Get Going!
- How to set up: Audio and the preferences window
- Explore what makes Ableton different to other DAWs
- Applications of session view and arrangement view: when to use which
- Live concepts: clips / browser / scenes / library
- Launching clips
- The concept of Ableton’s unique warp engine
- An introduction to FX
- An introduction to instruments
Creating With MIDI & Audio
- How to quantize audio
- How warping works
- Clips – exploring clip view & properties of clips
- How to make beats with Drum Racks & Simpler sampling
- Live’s effects and employing third-party effects
- How to record MIDI and set up live looping
- Basic routing and resampling
- Automation – how to create dynamic change in arrangements
DJing and Live Performance
- Preparing whole tracks (warping) and harmonic mixing
- ‘On-the-fly’DJ effects
- Grouping tracks and basic routing
- How to use MIDI controllers more effectively / mouse-free control
- Bespoke Ableton controllers – Akai, Push and Novation
- Structuring your sets & using loops
- How to record your performance & edit the arrangement view
- Bouncing down
MIDI Tracks and Composing with Virtual Instruments
- Simpler – Learn to unlock the full potential of this simple sampler
- Drum Rack – Programming beats, how to chop up loops, manipulating sounds, vocals and tracks – making rhythms from any sound source and also exploring the technique of Slice to MIDI.
- Grooves & how to extract them
- Using & controlling virtual instruments from third party developers
- Setting up controllers via MIDI keyboard or drum pad
- How to get creative with MIDI effects
Recording Techniques and an Introduction to Sound Design
- Balancing – an introduction to the art of mixing. Group tracks and advanced uses of routing
- The recording patch in detail, & an introduction to gain structure
- EQ and compression for recording
- Introduction to sound waves, frequency & amplitude
- Foldback, headphone mixes & latency
- Microphones overview and stereo mic-ing techniques
- Recording specific aspects of Ableton
- Digital, analog, sampling rate and bit-rate explained
- How to compile audio takes
- Advanced warping – manipulate classical music, a capellas and anything else without beats!
- Clip envelopes – how to use the unique loop-based technique, unique to Ableton, for automation on audio fx,, midi fx and instruments. Learn to achieve complex music, sound and rhythm manipulation with ease.
- Multi-track warping
- An introduction to Racks & Chains – their powerful hidden features. Also includes how to layer FX and instruments
- Bringing all automation types together – and how to create build-ups and break-downs with complex sounds.